A lot of people have a hard time finding good food to eat when they go on a paleo/low carb diet. The best food to eat is food that exists in nature and food that is low in sugar/starch. Complex carbohydrates and fiber are your friends! Below is a list of a low carb/paleo friendly foods that can give you a good idea of the combinations you can use on a healthy diet.
The diet I recommend should consist of around 65% fat, 30% Protein and 5% carbs. This isn’t an exact science, so don’t stress the numbers. I’m just giving you an idea of how important fat is.
The Best food to Eat
All meat. Pork, poultry, beef, lamb, fish, seafood, wild game, etc. Fatty meat is best. Aim for the fattiest cuts when purchasing meat.
*Avoid carrots, corn, potatoes, beets, yam, sweet potato, peas, beans & legumes, rutabaga, water chestnut. Eat Squash and eggplant sparingly
All other vegetables are fine!
*Avoid most fruit (Most modern fruit is genetically modified to be larger and sweeter)
*Lemon, lime, kiwi, coconut and berries are okay sparingly
Full fat yogurt, full fat cheese, cream, eggs, sour cream, butter
*Avoid milk and very soft cheeses (cream cheese)
Fats & Oils
All animal based and tropical oils/fats are great and consumption is encouraged (beef tallow, lard, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, macadamia oil, palm kernel oil)
*Avoid all other oils and fats (canola oil, vegetable oil, soybean oil, margarine, crisco, peanut oil, etc)
Nuts & Seeds (Sparingly)
Pecans, peanuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, macadamia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
Most diet drinks are okay. Unsweetened tea, unsweetened lemonade, water, coffee, tea, broth.
- Use guar or xanthan gum for thickening agents
- Avoid all sweeteners
- Stevia and some artificial sweeteners are okay
- vinegar and spices are okay
- Increase salt intake by way of broth/bullion or seasoning (sea salt)
- Fiber is good
- Mustard, horseradish, mayonaise (soybean oil free or homemade), most hot sauces, and ranch are okay
- Avoid ketchup and other sauces such as BBQ sauce
- 85% Dark chocolate or above is okay
- Blue cheese & ranch dressing is okay (see ingredients thoroughly to make sure there is no added sugars)