Most of your productivity hero’s are or have been neurotic messes at some point outside the public eye. It’s honestly hard to maintain a productive lifestyle without error. There are always unexpected variables that can interfere or throw off an otherwise effective routine.
I am personally very prone to that myself. I have a hard time doing things fast because I find that if people exceed their comfortable pace, they are more likely to make errors.
Here are some steps that have worked for me and I believe can work for you:
1) Wake up at least 1 hour before you have to do anything pressing. Try to avoid your phone or computer for at least an hour. Emails and texts can easily sap your mind of productivity, especially if they are your day starters.
2) Make a cup of tea. Some of you are coffee drinkers, which is okay, but for those of you who are nothing drinkers, try some tea. Tea is very invigorating and energizing.
3) Keep a pad and paper out that you can sketch or take notes with. It’s great to just write down simple things for comfort like “if I were to accomplish only one thing today and can call my day a success, what would it be?” A simple question like this can help you identify whe most important part of your day and get your mind on track.
4) Try and write down one thing that you are grateful for. It should be something a little more meaningful that “I’m grateful for this house”. Try something like “I’m grateful for being able to get organized again when an unexpected variable interferes with my routine”. Something that you can reflect on a little deeper than material.
5) If you get distracted or start procrastinating, don’t panic or get frustrated. Turn off the computer screen, put your phone on airplane mode and just go wash your face with cold water. Reset a little and think about. Look at the pad and remember that one thing that you can do to consider your day a success.
Congratulations! It’s that simple.
It doesn’t take much to really be productive. Just cut out the clutter and Do less. Any time you find yourself struggling with your daily tasks, just do less for that day. Try going to sleep earlier and getting up earlier as well.
Don’t overestimate the world and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.
And you are not alone!