You cannot advocate decency and ethics. You must design the conditions that eliminate the problems. In scarcity, people will tend to steal. If you make things available, people tend not to steal.
~ Jacque Fresco
Let’s face it, the lack of something makes people want to take it is from other’s. Scarcity is literally the root of 90% of our social and economic issues. Since money is the medium for exchange, it is often blamed for all the problems. Unfortunately, the roots go deeper. If there is a lack of food, water, shelter or personal possession, people will steal.
- Scarcity of anything will make it more valuable and obsessed over
- Money creates scarcity to keep an artificial system of supply and demand running
- Personal relationships suffer due to scarcity of attention which usually causes obsession
- Scarcity creates competition which isn’t ideal because someone has to lose
- 90% of violent behavior is due to scarcity of some kind (social or economic)
Scarcity Creates Dependency
“No complaint … is more common than that of a scarcity of money.”
Scarcity & Money
A lot of scarcity we have today is actually created through money. Diamonds for example aren’t that rare. They are not mined at a faster rate than demand because then they will lose value. Crop burning is the same way. If too much corn is grown, corn prices will drop. Farmers burn crops to keep monetary gains consistent. Money is considered before human value in most cases.
The lack of money is necessary to create competition and high profit for those who are on top. There are ways to eliminate scarcity, but we must also eliminate the monetary system that creates it as well. Otherwise, only those with a lot of money will benefit and those without it won’t. Until a new system comes a long, we must deal with money.
Scarcity & People
Let’s consider people. If you have a lot of friends, you’ll be less likely to obsess over their attention than if you had one friend. Scarcity creates value which creates dependency. Status of others is also scarce. For example, an actor or actress is not as common to see around as an average middle class person. When they are seen around, they are more appreciated and admired.
So what can we do to eliminate scarcity? First of all, the lack of money is responsible for scarcity. So we must acquire a lot of money to keep from falling into that trap. This will eliminate 80% of the problem. The rest of the 20% is surrounding yourself with enough socially to defeat any dependency which may creep into your life!